2.20.2010

A Whole New World

Today Mia has been home exactly one week.  Just seven days and she's already tried so many new things.  For starters, she lives in a new country, a new house, a new neighborhood.  She  has met 2 new brothers and 2 new sisters along with 4 new grandparents, 4 new aunts, 5 new uncles and 14 new cousins.  She has met new neighbors, eaten new foods, slept in a new bed, gotten her first pair of new shoes and new clothes, and she's gone to a new church with lots of new people to meet. That is quite a lot of a 7 year old.  I didn't have intentions of introducing her to quite so many new things this early - but she is soaking everything up like a sponge.  So much so, that she even went to her NEW school on Thursday and Friday.  She met new teachers, new classmates, and is hearing a new way of learning.  She LOVED her first two days at school and I can tell they have already made a difference in her confidence level.  She was so worried about school and not speaking English, but I think these two days helped her see that somethings about school are the same - and the rest isn't going to be as hard as she thought.  We've been connected with a precious Chinese friend who lives not too far from us and Mia was able to SKYPE with her before she went to school.  I just wanted to be sure she understood what she was asking to do.  It was a great conversation for Mia.  We've been invited to dinner at this lady's house and we can't wait.  The more Chinese people Mia sees her in America, the more at ease she feels.
So, you are wondering, how are we doing with all these new things?  How is Mia coping?  How are we all coping?  The answer is different every day.  Somedays are very, very hard.  Some days are much easier.  Today is the first day I've woken up and felt "normal".  The long trip home that we took almost killed us both, but we wouldn't have done it any other way.  It has however, taken me almost the whole week to recover. I'm hoping I'll be able to function better this week.  Mia has come along way since January 31st when she met us for the first time.  There is still a long way to go - but we've seen so many glimpses of hope in her - we hold on to that on the difficult days.  One day I want to share the whole expereince of those first few days with Mia.  I just can't seem to decide how to do it and how much to share - so I'll wait.  Just know that God was there.  Even in the darkest moments we were never left alone.  He who promised is faithful.
These are pictures of Mia at the Guanzghou Zoo.  It was quite interesting.  I wasn't feeling very safe there - perhaps Chinese aren't as obssessed with safety as we are here.  There just wasn't enough adequate railing and protection for me.  I mean really, have you ever been those close to an elephant.  And do you see the miniscule railing that is keeping Mia from jumping in with the Panda?  It was a great day, but I was a nervous wreck by the time we left. 
 
 



This last pic is her getting ready to head out the door for her first day of school. 
And loving life with sisters......

13 comments:

Our family said...

So glad to see an update and so thankful to God for providing a loving forever family for Mia and a precious new daughter for you.

Jeanette said...

Oh Jennifer, so happy to hear that Mia is adjusting so beautifully and has even gone to school! WOW! It took me about 3 months of being home to start to feel "normal" again so I'd say you all are doing remarkably well! Just wanted you to know Julie Scott mentioned your family in Sunday School last Sunday so our whole class has been praying for your precious family! I will be praying for the days and weeks to come as you all continue to bond and grow in love for one another. So happy Mia is finally home! God is good!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey there Barbees!

Glad to know you all got home safe and sound and Mia seems to be doing so well. We were glad to get to know you in Xi'an and Guangzhou. We're beginning to feel normal again, too.
Take care and enjoy these fun days!
Anne in AZ

Our family said...

Awsome sooooooooooo glad you are finnaly HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad to see she is liking schol well.Looks like she LOVES her sisters.Have a blessed evening with your family and MIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our family said...

Awsome sooooooooooo glad you are finnaly HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad to see she is liking schol well.Looks like she LOVES her sisters.Have a blessed evening with your family and MIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elaine said...

The pictures of Mia with her sisters melts my heart. She sounds like she is doing GREAT!! God is certainly an amazing God to allow children to transition like this. You are the perfect forever family for Mia. I can't wait to meet her. We're continuing to pray for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Jen, I know that you are so busy, but thank you for the update. I have thought of you all so often, but did not want to call. Mia is very brave isn't she? I pray that God will continue to lead your family. I praise God that you are following HIM.

I love you,
T. Heuts

Anonymous said...

It is so great to see Mia with those smiles. I was able to catch a glimpse of Mia at the end of school on Friday when picking up Nadalee! She had the most unbelievable smile on her face and was so happy! I am sure there are still some tough times with the transition but she is a perfect fit for the Barbee family! We continue to pray for Mia and for the entire family! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make these first days back a little easier!

Allen, Talisa, Jerrika and Nadalee Linker

Anonymous said...

What fun it has been to follow your blog and to see all that God has been and is doing in your precious family. Bobby, who would ever have thought. . . .?! Did Esther get to meet your Mia this summer when Andy and Brooke came through? Love to all. Kathy in Birmingham

Anonymous said...

Has Mia gotten to paint yet? If not, she got to try something new in art today too!! Glad to hear she seems to be adjusting well!!

Rebekah C.

Our family said...

Hey,
I am so happy for Mia!Ya'll are in my prayers!
Love,
Shelby

Amy said...

So happy to hear Mia is doing well, I love that she is so excited to go to school. We need to catch up soon. I can't wait to meet Mia and the rest of your gang.
All my love, Amy

Kristi said...

WOW!!! School already? What a brave little girl!
(I'm just starting to get caught up on blogs that I read...)
I sure can't wait to meet the newest addition to the Barbee family.