The Wild Goose Pagoda
.jpg)
Originally built in 652 during the reign of Emperor Gaozong of the Tang Dynasty (618-907), the pagoda functioned to collect Buddhist materials that were taken from India by the hierarch Xuanzang. It is called Big Wild Goose Pagoda because of a legend.. According to ancient stories of Buddhists, there were two branches, for one of which eating meat was not a taboo. One day, they couldn't find meat to buy. Upon seeing a group of big wild geese flying by, a monk said to himself: 'Today we have no meat. I hope the merciful Bodhisattva will give us some.' At that very moment, the leading wild goose broke its wings and fell to the ground. All the monks were startled and believed that Bodhisattva showed his spirit to order them to be more pious. They established a pagoda where the wild goose fell and stopped eating meat. Hence it got the name 'Big Wild Goose Pagoda'. The tour was full of talk about Buddha and Buddism. It was interesting to hear the origins of it all, but became a little redundant after the 10 buddha statue. I still find it so interesting to see again how differently people across the world think and live.
Xi'an City Wall
.jpg)
.jpg)
When Zhu Yuanzhang, the first Emperor of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), captured Huizhou, a hermit named Zhu Sheng admonished him that he should 'built high walls, store abundant food supplies and take time to be an Emperor,' so that he could fortify the city and unify the other states. After the establishment of the Ming dynasty, Zhu Yuanzhang followed his advice and began to enlarge the wall built initially during the old Tang dynasty (618 -907), creating the modern Xian City Wall. It's the most complete city wall that has survived in China, as well being one of the largest ancient military defensive systems in the world. The wall is decorated for Chinese New Year and Mia loved the flower decorations. She wanted her photo taken with everything.
.jpg)
.jpg)
And yes, I'm copying this info from the internet because I do not remember everything Sherry said and I'm too tired to look back at my notes. Tomorrow we are headed to the Terra Cotta Warriors. We've heard so much about them.
Thanks for all of your prayers. Mia still has a broken heart, but most of the days puts on a brave face. She is beginning to show us much affection and we can't wait for all of you to meet this brave little girl. We've seen God here in the big things and in many, many small details. I can't wait to tell you all about this amazing, amazing story.
Jen

8 comments:
Looks like you all had a great day. We just love to see Mia's smile, and I think pink is her color. Our LID is 1/21. So if we are on the "Barbee Track" we will be in China the end of April. Don't worry, I am not holding my breath -just praying : )
She is such a beauty...I just can't wait to meet her..sending many prayers your way.
Michelle
Wow Jen!! For a minute there I was seriously impressed with how you remembered all the info! :P
It's wonderful to see the smile on Mia's face and in her eyes as well!
Love you,
Sherry
Oh that smile in the close up photo! Jennifer, I continue to pray for her and for you guys as you search for ways to seek her out!
Enjoy the warriors, we were going to try to get to DC to see them ourselves...
You will love the Terra Cotta Warriors. It's my favorite sightseeing trip we've made in China! We'll continue to pray for Mia and for your children back home. We love you guys!
Hey aunt Jen,I am soooooo glad you updated on your blog.Mia looks sooo happy even though she is still sad on the inside.I will keep praying.Have a blessed day and/or night.I am not sure with the timezone even though i have been to CHINA.I love ya'll Love Katie
What a beautiful picture of Mia with the flowers! I bet your classes would love to hear about your sight seeing adventure. Praying for peace and acceptance in little Mia's heart...praying for The Barbee Bunch!!! Love you guys!!
We absolutely loved touring Xian. Looks like you had better weather than we did when you went up on the wall...it was raining when we were there but exciting none the less! Continuing to pray for Mia's heart, that she will find comfort and peace with you both and that she will not be afraid. Hang in there!
Post a Comment