Yesterday we visited the famous Terra Cotta Warriors. People have told me about seeing this before, but honestly, you really can't appreciate it until you have been.
.jpg)
Here's the history lesson. The first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang believed he would have another life after he died. He had these terra cotta soldiers, horses and chariots made to serve as his army in that life. They were buried, standing and ready for service in his tomb. In 1974, a rural Chinese farmer discovered a hat of one of the warriors while trying to dig a well. He kept it in his house for over a year. Eventually, a relative came to visit and encouraged him to dig more. 8,000 terra cotta soldiers have been uncovered to date along with 520 horses and many chariots. The soldiers each stand 6 ft tall. They date back to 210 BC. The emperor demanded that no two soldiers be made alike. It took 700,000 workers to complete the task. As we now know, the soldiers were not helpful to him in the after life.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
It is an amazing site to see. Three separate buildings have been built around three excavation pits. All simply amazing. The detail of each soldier is incredible. I'm sure these pictures won't do them justice. As I said, you really have to see it to appreciate it.
.jpg)
This picture is of Mia at the gift shop. Not a kid friendly shop. Too much terra cotta for little hands to reach!!!
We miss you all. Thank you for following along.

12 comments:
Oh the things that we take for granted...being 7 years old never rode in a car. I am praying for her heart to fall in love with you...I love the smile on her face in each picture. Thank you for sharing your life with us all..Much love to you all..
Michelle
How cool is that. AWSOME!! I almost want to go to China to see that, but then I realized I would starve! Everyone is praying for yall. Its so cool to go to church, dentist, walmart, and see people who have all been keeping up with you. Also your family is doing great, they had fried and greasy just as promised!! :0)
Rusty and Heather
Hey Aunt Jen,Uncle Bobby,and cousin Mia, It sure does sound like a sight to see.That is amazing shes never been in a car at 7 years old.Well i am soooooo happy you are a 1 week from being home.I bet everyone is ready to see their mom.Well gotta go.I love ya'll.I am praying every day.Tell everyone hello.LOVE, Katie P.S.Happy early Valentines Day!!!!!!!
Sending lots of love your way...and praying for calmness...no car/plane sickness...and lots of happiness to come! My cup is full...this is what it's all about...awesome!
Melinda
I continue to pray for Mia and her heart as well as you as parents to know how to deal with her. I know how my Sara grieved and she was only 2 years old. I can only imagine how Mia feels. God is an awesome God and He will take care of her as well as ya'll. "The Belk Lady"
Wow! What an amazing piece of history to be able to visit on an adoption trip.
But more importantly, so glad to read that you and Mia are continuing to work through the grieving. In time she will come to know how blessed she is that you are her forever mommy ~ and that you will help her to know her Heavenly Father.
Praying for all the Barbees!
Thinking of you all and praying.
Praying for you all! May God mend her broken heart and calm her motion sickness. I know once she meets all her new family she will not be able to stop smiling. What a Christmas Card it will be this year.
Sherry Bolser
so glad that you will be home in one week. It will be good to get started with your "regular " routines soon. We will continue to pray for your time together---praying for a bond that only the Father's love can create and grow.
Love ,
Christy Davis
So happy for you all. I was just thinking this morning about how you guys and Shane went to school together and now you have all experienced the amazing journey of adoption from China and have seen the amazing sights of China especially the terracota warriors. Who could have imagined 30 years ago that you all could said that this is where God would have led you. He truly is an awesome God. We will continue to pray for you. Can't wait to meet Mia and for her to meet the rest of her family.
I agree, you have to see it to believe it! So glad you made it to the TC museum, a chance of a life time and how neat it will be for Mia, even if she doesn't remember it, to have the pictures and the stories to tell her. A high light of our trip to China for sure! Praying for your flight! Enjoy your time in GZ...happy shopping! :)
Post a Comment