![]() |
| Guangzhou Social Welfare Institute |
On
my itenarary for July 10th was this. " Meet in lobby at 9:45, visit
orphanage." It should have read like this, "We will meet in the lobby
at 9:45 and what you are about to see will change your life
forever!!!!!!" I have always considered myself to be a man that gives a
lot of me. I have always loved doing for others. Making sure that the
other person got what was best! It made me feel wonderful knowing that
I let someone win, come in first or made someone else comfortable by me
taking something last. That all has new meaning now.
It
started when we first walked into a class of boys at the
orphanage ranging from age 7 to 14. 5 of them sitting in desk looking
at books with English and Chinese writing. My guide, Miko, told
me that all of these boys have a forever home (been adopted) and they
were preparing them for the transition.
I
noticed the oldest boy in the back of the room talking to a cell
phone. He was obviously an albino boy. Very tall, and very white. The
lady helping him asked me if I would like to talk to his family, from
Oklahoma, and I said sure. He was able to "face time" with his
family!!!! How cool was that!! I was able to grab the phone and talk to
his mom and tell her how good he looked, how clean and nice the place
was and that he was very excited about coming to their family. As I
talked to the family, I noticed another albino boy in the back ground.
She told me that he would be there 8th child. I chuckled to her and
said she got us by one. She could see the beautiful Mary in my arms!!!
What a giving family from Oklahoma.
After
wiping the tears from my eyes and
leaving with all the boys waiving goodbye to me, we walked to what I
knew was little pre school rooms. Classes that were ready for all the
kids to come and play and learn. Miko looked at me when we turned the
corner and said that this was Mary's class. A chill went all over my
body. Knowing that for the last year she was in this room daily with
her other friends and teachers. One of the helpers brought me over to
the table in the center of the room and showed me the sweetest picture
of a little girl taped on the table where she would do her work. It was
my Mary!!! Let the emotions flow. I took pictures of the photo and
then the lady took it off the table and handed it to me. As I cried
some more I could only pray that many more children could have their
pictures removed off of the tables in orphanages and handed to their
forever families.
![]() |
| Mary's photo that marked her seat at the work table. |
![]() |
| Mary's picture outside her classroom door. |
Then I heard the sweetest voice come into
the room
with a joy that I will probably never hear again. Miss Mary has not
smiled much and has not shown much emotion but when Yang Na, the
sweetest lady that I will never forget, came and saying her name, she
smiled the biggest smile I have seen. She talked to her as sweet as I
have ever heard any voice of any teacher. I knew that she loved Mary as
if she was her own. I made sure that Miko told her that I thanked her
from the bottom of my heart for loving her and caring for her like she
did.
![]() |
| Mary's teacher |
After some more tears and pictures we made our way down a
walk way that had cribs and beds in it. I was about to see where Mary
stayed every night. But before I saw that, I saw about 60 to 70 tiny
little faces looking at me. Boys, girls, tiny babies, 3 year olds
waiving so big at me. Children in corners and children with the saddest
faces you have ever seen. Children that looked like our American
children and
children that had major special needs. My heart has not ever hurt like
this. I was never able to visit our other girls orphanages and foster
families but this time God knew I needed to be shaken and I was!!!!!
Finally
I passed these rooms which seemed like miles, I came up on the last
room with cribs. First crib on the right as I walked in was Mary's. It
looked exactly like the other cribs but it was very special. Mary has
slept in it. On the outside of the door was a chart of children and
they were in color code, blue for boys and pink for girls. Only one
pink name tag and it was my Mary's. Again I was given the pick name tag
and again I thought, when will the rest be taken?
![]() |
| Mary's teacher showing me that Mary can indeed walk. She just doesn't like it!!! |
As
I left the hall way and waved goodbye to all the kids, about 30
watching a cartoon, I could not help but think, how can I make more of a
difference? How can each child be saved? How can I make it where
every, and I mean every family in the US, Canada, UK, Germany and the
far reaches of the world see what I have just seen? Great
question!!!!! Don't know!! Some how, some way I am going to be an
advocate for every child in an orphanage!!!! Every child needs to have a
chance to have a mommy and a daddy to wrap their arms around them and
call them there own!!!! I do not know what that is going to look like
and I do not know my next physical step to take but I do know this.
When God calls us to do something, he has promised that mountains can
and will be moved!!!!! Please pray for guidance that God will show
Jennifer and I what to do next. Secondly, pray that God will move in
you and your families lives to act in some way. Adoption is something
that is very scary but if you will see the faces of these precious
children I promise God will take the fear away.
I am sorry that I sounded
preachy but I do not care!!!!! These children need homes. You cannot save all 147 million orphans, but you can save 1.
Love,
Bobby







3 comments:
We were not sure about going back to visit Camille's orphanage but it was a priceless , once in a lifetime experience, too. I am so thankful for the stories that you have that you can share with Mary....how loved she was. That is SO wonderful to be able to share. Love you all and we eagerly anticipate new pictures and stories!! God is good.
Loved your post. We have 6 kids from GSWI!
Hi Bobby, My name is Maureen and I have been following jen for years now. Back in December of 2011 I won an ipad you were raffling for Pearl. It was right when my husband and I were considering adopting from China. My husband was a bit "resistant". He met you to get our ipad (we live in Charlotte) and you probably don't remember but your conversation moved him and had an impact on him. A few months later we submitted our paperwork and we are now home with our daughter. Our lives changed on our trip to China and I hear everything you are saying. I now volunteer with "Love Without Boundaries" b/c I felt such a need to do something once home. Anyway, just wanted to say that I hear what you are saying and your post touched my heart. Your family's journey impacted us and was one thing that led us to bring home our daughter. I am so enjoying following your journey and wishing your family ALL THE BEST!
Post a Comment