4.12.2011

In The Sweet By And By.....

We shall meet on that beautiful shore.....
Mary Anna Hines Russell

My 98 year old grandmother finally made it to the sweet by and by called heaven on Monday.  She has longed to be there for quite some time.  When you out live most of those you love Heaven certainly becomes a sweeter place.  She gave us her funeral plans in 1984.  The hymn "Sweet By and By" was one of her request, as was "The Home Over There".  As evidence by the titles of the songs, she spent alot of time thinking about Heaven.....where there are no more sad goodbyes.

This is another time when words simply fail us.  I could never begin to explain what a remarkable woman that she was.  She was the perfect grandmother as well.  Her gentle spirit and her servant heart made everyone feel special.

She was a beautiful lady.  Her dark hair, olive complexion and smiling eyes were something to behold.  Upon seeing her for the first time, her future mother-in-law said, "Now that is the prettiest girl I have ever seen."

My heart is full of happy memories of childhood days and nights spent at her house.  While the passing of those days bring sadness, it is impossible not to be happy that she is finally at home with all those she loved so much.  Her parents, her husband, her eight siblings and her daughter are there.  She's been waiting to be reunited with her mother since she was nine years old.  She is there now singing in her beautiful alto voice, smiling with her eyes in a way that only she could, and worshipping at the feet of her Savior.  Now heaven is sweeter for me too.

In 1997 we each wrote letters to her at Christmas.  We will attempt to read them at her funeral tomorrow as a way to hopefully convey how special she was to each of us.  Below are the words that I wrote about her.


Little bottled Cokes were always a treat at her house.

Dear Grandma,

Why are you special to me? 

Perhaps it is the way you've always made me feel so special.

Maybe it is the way you taught me to make paper dolls by cutting them from magazines. .  You'd sit with me at the kitchen table and play with them too.  Simple things.

Maybe it is the way you let me totally destroy your kitchen while helping you cook without ever saying a single word about the mess.  Simple things.

Or perhaps it was the playhouse that you created for me between the trees in the backyard.  Nothing fancy.  Just a few old things and a lot of imagination.  And you didn't ever send me out there to play by myself.  You always played with me.  Simple things.

Maybe it is the goodies always in your kitchen:  sugar cookies, ice cream and soda crackers, and icy cokes from the freezer.  Simple things.

Maybe it is the Christmas' spent at your house.  David and I could hardly wait to get here on Christmas morning.  It is not because we anticipate extravagant gifts, but because we love the fire in the fireplace and the birthday cake for Jesus. My favorite thing is finding each person’s stocking hung throughout the house.  Every year my Dad's stocking has been empty with a note from Santa:

“Dear Ronny,  You've been a bad boy this year. Your stocking is empty.  Love Santa.”  

That always evoked such laughter in us as children.  Simple things.

Maybe it was the way you let me play the piano.  No one else in the house seemed to be pleased by my attempts, but you always made me think it was beautiful.  I loved sitting by the piano and hearing you play.  You taught me how to play the low notes on the chorus of the hymn “Send the Light” and I still love hearing you play and sing the hymns that are so special to you.  Simple things.

Maybe it was the bedtime stories that you would tell us when we spent the night with you.  They were designed to help us fall asleep, but they always put you to sleep instead.  I guess you wore yourself out playing so hard with us.  Simple things.

Maybe it was all the letters that you were so faithful to send me while I was away in college.  Just a simple note to let me know that you and Papa were praying for me every morning.  Sometimes you’d send a little money and tell me it wasn't much but you hoped I could by myself a coke or put some gas in my car.  Simple things.

It is all these simple things that have made you so special to me.  I hope now as a young mother myself, I can remember that it is not extravagant gifts or lavish luxuries that make children feel special.  It is the simple gift of time, love and attention.  As children when we were at your house nothing else mattered.  We had your undivided attention.  After dinner you'd always say, “Leave the mess, I'll get it later.  Let's spend time together.”

Thank you Grandma for all the simple things you've done over the years to make me feel extraordinarily special!  That is why you are special to me!


Merry Christmas  1997
Jennifer






Trey and Grandma shared the same birthday.  

The kids and I visiting Grandma in April 2010.
  Even when she no longer recognized us,
children always brought a smile to her face.


Enjoy yourself in the sweet by and by grandma,  I shall meet you again on that beautiful shore.


4 comments:

Talisa M Linker said...

Jennifer,

I am so sorry to hear about your Granmother's passing. From reading the letter you wrote to her, I can see that she was well loved and gave tremendous love in return. Please know that you and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

jasnjoj said...

What a precious post, Jennifer. You favor your grandmother alot - I think it is your eyes...

Kristi said...

Jennifer,
That you wrote her that letter while she was still here I know was such a blessing to your grandmother! My heart hurts for you ~ it has been very recent for me that I lost my grandfather. Praying for you and your family as you grieve your loss and yet celebrating with you on her gain...

Our family said...

Jenn, so sorry to hear about the loss of someone so dear yet with you, I rejoice that she is where she was made to spend eternity! Life is so hard here but we have to keep our eyes focused on what is to come - just like your grandma did.