5.03.2010
Three Months Home
We just passed the three month home mark with Mia. Where do I begin to convey what our lives have been like these past 90 days? How do I even begin to describe what I've witnessed? Will it ever be possible to accurately re-tell the story of her first days home? I don't think so. It is the story of a child ripped from all she knew and loved. A story, that had we witnessed it under any other circumstances, would seem cruel. A little girl who obviously loved and was well-loved in return in a foster grandmother's home, but because of circumstances beyond her control, could not stay there. How would I ever begin to tell you what is was like to be a main character in this drama? There is simply no way to do it. What I can tell you is that we have witnessed a miracle. Given the plot of this story we would never expect the outcome to be so blessed. Those first days in China I honestly thought I could not bear the pain that watching this child grieve so intensely brought. I thought I would die. I cried like I have never cried before and I begged God to comfort us all. It was not easy and I will never pretend otherwise. Those were dark days when I felt so inadequate to comfort this little child who only knew me as a stranger. We've come so far since those days. The anger has all but dissipated. We see joy. We see peace. We see courage. We see God. Daily. We see God. The verse we clung to before we met Mia and during these 90 days was Hebrews 10:23. "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful." He has been faithful to us and to Mia. There were and are still days when I 'swerve'. Some days it is only slightly and I can easily steer myself back to Him. Other days it is a full fledged off the road kind of swerve that takes a few days to find my way back onto the road. But regardless of how often I take my eyes of him and become consumed by circumstances, he has never taken his eyes off of us. I know it. I have seen it. I will not forget it.
Now that Mia knows more English we are learning more and more of her story. Apparently the day she came to us was quite traumatic. She talks about seeing the car with the orphanage director pull up at her grandmother's house and hearing her grandmother cry. She talks about waving to her out the window of the car and her grandmother covering her face because she was crying. Because I know Mia, I know that she did not leave her grandmother willingly. I'm sure she had to be physically pulled away. It is a heart-wrenching scene to imagine. We had this conversation just yesterday:
Mia: "Is Nai Nai still sad mama?"
Me: "I don't think Nai Nai is sad anymore Mia. I think she misses you, but I think she is happy that you have a family now that you can stay with forever."
Mia: "How do you know she isn't still crying? Did you talk to her?"
Me: "No Mia, I did not talk to her. I just know that because Nai Nai loved you, she is happy if you are happy. Are you happy here Mia?"
Mia: "I am happy. I am going to stay here until I am 21 then I will visit Nai Nai and come back to you mama..... long pause....... Do you think she is still crying Mama?"
Mia worries quite a bit about Nai Nai. So do I. I can't imagine loving this girl for 7 years and then losing her even if I knew it was the best thing for her. People ask me why she couldn't be adopted by the foster grandmother. I don't know the answer to that. I just know that it wasn't an option.
I do wish I could talk to her foster grandmother. I would say something like this:
Thank you for taking care of this little girl and loving her as if she was your own. Please do not worry about her. She is very happy now. She had a hard time in the beginning. She was very angry that we had taken her from you. She was very angry to be leaving her country. She was frightened because she could not communicate. I want you to know that now she is content. She has learned so much English that I don't even wonder how to explain anything to her anymore. I just say it like I would to any other child and she understands. She speaks fluent English now too. Everyone who meets her can't believe she's only been here three months. She's made many friends her age. This weekend she went to a birthday party for a neighbor and I didn't even stay with her to help her communicate. She had a great time. She is very proud of her new family. When they all came to see her at our church's parent-child dedication Sunday, she beamed when she saw them all sitting in the audience.
She worries about you. She hopes that you are not still crying because you miss her. She talks often about another child who lived there too and wishes that she could see her swing set because they would have fun swinging together. I've told her over and over that it is okay for her to love you and us. I think she is finally at peace with that. She plans to visit you when she is 21. We will do our best to help her remember the love that you shared with her. Thank you for helping her know how to love. Thank you for loving her so well.
Here's a picture of Mia at the zoo on a class field trip. She loves her new school and her teacher. She is so very smart.
Mia is a blessing to our family and we promise to love her - forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I'm sitting here just crying, Jennifer. You DID have the words to convey what these past 3 months have been like.
We praise you for what you have done and are doing in this family, Jesus!
I sure hope MIA gets to see her grandmother again.Its sooooo heartbreaking she had to leave her grandmother but i am glad she has a family.love to all.Katie PS seems like she had a blast at the ZOO
I can hardly write for crying. God is good and he will give Nai Nai peace... God is good - He gave us a chance to love Mia too... God is good - all the time - in every difficult circumstance and easy... God is good. PERIOD... Let us never forget that... Thank you for the well written reminder of His goodness and faithfulness...
Love,
Aunt Juju
Jennifer, you need not have stressed over how to write this post. From reading it I knew God's hand was here. As Aunt JuJu said, God is Good! I am in awe of you and Bobby and your family! Mia is a strong young lady and His loving kindness shows in everything she has accomplished in the three months she has been home.
God is Good all the time and All the time God is Good!
Talisa L.
thanks for taking the time to write this post. How encouraging it was to see God at work in your lives. We are waiting to pick up a 6 yr old girl who has also been with a foster family the whole time. Your post helps us be better prepared and gives us great encouragement that over time we will see God at work in our family also.
Shona
Jennifer,
What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your heart and giving a glimpse into what adjusting to new life is like when bringing home an older child. So glad that you were able to turn to God to sustain you through the difficult days. And how joyous now to read the trust and love that has been built! I look forward to seeing what the next 90 days bring!
Your letter to Mia's foster grandmother is beautiful. It is hard to know how to say thank you to the foster families who loved our children - who taught them how to love and be loved. I am glad that Mia was so blessed. It is wonderful to hear about the changes in her and how she is moving through her grief and toward acceptance and happiness as a part of your family.
Beautiful post, Jenn! Thanks for sharing your heart with us. It has been amazing to witness this miracle with you. May God continue to grant all of you, including Nai Nai, His comfort and peace. Jan
One great thing about not being able to sleep after working a few nights is having time to stay up and catch up on things. I am at a loss as to what to say. I admire you and your family so much. You have trusted God and lived through a difficult time, the reward is that sweet, sweet smile of a little girl being loved by her family. This is such a sweet post.
Oh dear Lord.....I am sobbing....I don't know what our hourney will be, but being that this is our third and our oldest adoption yet, I expect it to be the most traumatic and difficult....I will be going back through your blog as far back as it goes to read....I am so very, very thankful that you wrote to me.
Post a Comment